Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thomas Huber and the Deutsch Team

A cunning linguist, I am not however I do consider myself pretty slick in the arts of speech. I started learning my first foreign language when I was 12 in Ms. Osmond's Spanish class. To this day I can say two things, "puerto ir al quarto de banjo per favor" which means "can I go to the bathroom" and "tu es muey picano in el pantalones", which means you are small in the pants. I'll thank my brother and his friend taunting me in spanish outside church one day for that one. I never really got any good at spanish, although it's pretty easy to pick up I'd imagine.

I started seriously studying German in high school and got pretty good with it. I was one of the best in my class for a while and was able to read some pretty tough elementary stuff. I think it was easy because I just thought it was like English but with different rules. Why bother to ask why than to just accept the grammar or whatever for what it is? That's what I believe.

With that, today I bought a ticket to Paris, France (no relation to Germany...well) today for vacation. With that, a trip to Austria is in order and I can test out my German I have totally neglected for 6 years. My friend who I am visiting, is also good with languages and can speak french and japanese very well. I could speak German at one time, so I've added another insomniac adventure to my collection:


yes, you did this too one day.

It's really not that hard. I thought that I would've had to start from square one with this German thing, but it's amazing how much I feel like I've remembered. Don't mistake me for David Hasselhoff, but I think I can get around a pretty good amount. This book set that my uncle had at one time even comes with 4 cassette tapes. Christ, how am I going to play this thing?

German lost to Japanese when I was a jr . in high school. I still got better at German but Japanese really took a stronger hold and started to interfere with it. I could hardly think of German sentences without them turning into Japanese. Germapanese? Ich habe 学校 jetzt. 行こうか?

No comments:

Post a Comment